A Date Night in Somers Point: Buona Vita & Tavern on the Bay
I am STRESSED. Why? Honestly, I don’t even know why. Can I just say everything?!
Well, when one is stressed, one should probably try to destress. And my attempt at self-care was simple: date night!
Did it work? Nope. Still stressed. But that’s besides the point.
For our night out, Joe and I headed to Bay Avenue in Somers Point, New Jersey, where we ended up trying two completely different spots: Buona Vita Restaurant for dinner and Tavern on the Bay for drinks and dessert.
And, dear Partiers, this night definitely had some highs and lows.
Dinner at Buona Vita Restaurant in Somers Point
We landed at Buona Vita Restaurant, an Italian restaurant on Bay Avenue in Somers Point. I did my usual pre-visit menu stalking before we left, but somehow I completely missed one important detail: Buona Vita is BYOB.
Had I known, I absolutely would have grabbed one of our zero-proof wines from home. Or I could have stopped at the Somers Point ShopRite, which has been carrying more and more zero-proof wines and non-alcoholic beverages.
Lesson learned: Always check the BYOB situation before leaving the house, Partiers!
Buona Vita means “the good life” in Italian, and the restaurant certainly tries to create that feeling. The interior has a warm, intimate atmosphere with Tuscan-inspired dΓ©cor that gives it the feeling of a cozy Southern Italian villa.
There was already a large party seated when we arrived, but the rest of the dining room was pretty quiet. We were seated in a tiny little alcove that seemed just big enough for the two of us.
Was it a problem? Not really.
Did I wonder why we were tucked away when there were plenty of other tables available?
Absolutely.
At first, I figured maybe they were expecting a dinner rush. But when we left, only one additional party had arrived.
Not a big deal. Just…choices, right?
The Mocktail Situation
And then we got to the part of the evening that matters most to The Sober Party Girl: The mocktail.
But… There was no mocktail.
I asked if they could make me a Shirley Temple or some kind of mocktail, and the look I received in response told me pretty much everything I needed to know.
What surprised me most was that I wasn't really offered another beverage option, either. No soda suggestion, no juice combination, nothing.
So… Water it was.
And yes, I drank the water. Which was fine…
The Food at Buona Vita
Thankfully, the food gave us something to focus on.
Buona Vita's menu centers around classic Italian favorites, with dishes built around traditional flavors and familiar Italian ingredients.
Chocolate Mousse Cake
Of course, because apparently we like to live dangerously, we started with dessert.
We ordered a slice of chocolate mousse cake, and it was absolutely delicious.
The chocolate crust was soft and crumbly, while the mousse was light, smooth, rich and decadent without being overwhelmingly sweet.
My only complaint? The slice was TINY.
I saw a price of around $16 and thought, Surely that can't be right.
I didn't study the bill closely enough to confirm it, so I sincerely hope I was mistaken because that was one very thin slice of cake for $16.
Between us friends, the bill is more of the husband's problem, am I right?
Risotto Primavera
Next up was the Risotto Primavera, which isn't technically listed as an appetizer, but we decided to order it to share. Thank goodness we did.
This thing was HUGE.
The dish featured Arborio rice with seasonal vegetables in an oil and white wine garlic sauce. The rice looked suspiciously yellow when it arrived, but I quickly stopped caring once I tasted it.
God, I love risotto.
It was creamy without feeling heavy, with little bites of vegetables throughout. The vegetables seemed more finely diced and mixed throughout the dish rather than noticeably sautΓ©ed, but honestly? I didn't care. It was delicious, and there was plenty of it.
Pollo Fantasia
For my entrΓ©e, I ordered the Pollo Fantasia, and this was a dish I hadn't experienced before. A thin chicken breast was topped with sautΓ©ed asparagus and melted Fontina cheese, then finished with a lemon white wine sauce. The lemon sauce was the star of the show for me. That fresh, bright citrus flavor cut through the richness of the cheese and made the entire dish feel lighter and more refreshing than I expected.
The chicken, asparagus, Fontina and lemon sauce worked beautifully together. The sides, however, were…interesting.
There was what appeared to be steamed broccoli, along with two large pieces of carrot and a couple of lightly fried potato wedges. The broccoli was good. The carrots were, well…carrots. And the potatoes were barely seasoned and seemed to have received just the quickest little kiss from the fryer.
It was such an odd combination next to an otherwise flavorful entrΓ©e. Maybe the vegetables were meant to be decorative garnish? I honestly wasn't sure.
Pollo Buona Vita
Joe ordered the Pollo Buona Vita, and this one was a true showstopper.
The dish featured a thin chicken breast covered in melted Fontina cheese and topped with Prosciutto di Parma, baby spinach and imported porcini mushrooms, all finished with a light demi-glace.
And that sauce? OH. MY. GOD. I wanted to put it on everything.
The demi-glace was rich and incredibly flavorful without overpowering the chicken, cheese, prosciutto, spinach or mushrooms. Every bite seemed just as good as the last.
Like my entrΓ©e, Joe's dish came with the same odd combination of steamed broccoli, carrots and lightly fried potato wedges. The entrΓ©e itself, though? Fantastic.
Sometimes Water Just Isn't Enough
By the time we were getting ready to leave, I realized something.
I had lied. I was not fine with just water.
I wanted SOMETHING.
We quickly paid the bill and decided to cross Bay Avenue and try somewhere neither of us had ever visited before: Tavern on the Bay.
And, Partiers… I am SO glad we did.
Discovering Tavern on the Bay in Somers Point
I have driven past Tavern on the Bay for decades without ever stepping inside.
Now I'm wondering why I waited so long.
The historic property was built in 1884 as a grand Victorian mansion overlooking Great Egg Harbor Bay. Over the years, the building has had quite the history, with stories of wealthy visitors, rum-runners, Prohibition-era activity, and even connections in local lore to Atlantic City's criminal underworld.
Today, Tavern on the Bay has transformed the historic property into a lively waterfront destination featuring a restaurant, bar, a wraparound deck overlooking the bay, marina slips and guest accommodations.
And then there are the ghost stories. Because apparently a gorgeous waterfront restaurant wasn't enough. We also needed reported paranormal activity.
Honestly? I'm intrigued.
First Impressions
Walking into Tavern on the Bay felt like walking into someone's house. If there hadn't been a hostess stand, I might have felt like I was trespassing.
The first room had a cozy, homey feel with a small bar area, while the next room opened up into a larger bar and dining area. Tables stretched throughout the open floor plan and continued onto the covered deck and full outdoor deck.
And let me just say: THIS PLACE IS STUNNING.
There was something incredibly relaxing about the atmosphere. Maybe it was the historic house. Maybe it was the bay. Maybe I was just desperate for a mocktail after drinking nothing but water at dinner.
Either way, I was feeling better already.
Mocktails at Tavern on the Bay
We were completely full from dinner, but we still wanted a mocktail and a little something sweet before heading home.
And wouldn't you know it? We arrived just in time to catch the end of Happy Hour.
Huzzah!
We ordered two Bay Breeze mocktails, made with pineapple juice, cranberry juice and a splash of orange juice. Our bartender, Lisa, was absolutely wonderful. She was friendly, welcoming and happy to make us something even though she admitted the bar's non-alcoholic ingredients were somewhat limited.
But honestly? The combination worked perfectly.
The fruity, tropical flavors made this mocktail feel like something I should have been drinking on a beach somewhere instead of sitting in Somers Point.
Fresh juice + waterfront views + zero proof = The Sober Party Girl is happy.
(I forgot to take a photo!! Please forgive me.)
Happy Hour & Apple Pie Γ la Mode
Tavern on the Bay's Happy Hour menu included several discounted options, including things like flatbreads and wings.
But we had a different mission. We wanted something sweet. So naturally, we ordered the apple pie Γ la mode.
And this wasn't some sad little slice of pie pulled from the freezer and microwaved before being tossed onto a plate with ice cream.
Oh no. This apple pie came bubbling away in a little crock, similar to the kind you'd see French onion soup served in. It was warm, gooey, and topped with two scoops of vanilla ice cream and cinnamon. Joe and I quite literally fought each other for bites. It was THAT good.
Looking back, we absolutely should have ordered another one.
The Night Was Still Going
As we finished our dessert, the restaurant was starting to come alive.
The dining room appeared to be preparing for an event, with catering setups being brought in while a singer got ready to perform.
A group of football fans came in and started filling up the bar area as we made our way out.
And just like that, our spontaneous second stop became one of my favorite discoveries of the night.
Final Thoughts: Two Very Different Somers Point Experiences
Our Somers Point date night turned into an interesting comparison.
Buona Vita gave us some genuinely delicious Italian food. The risotto was fantastic, my Pollo Fantasia had a bright and flavorful lemon sauce, and Joe's Pollo Buona Vita had a demi-glace I would happily eat with a spoon.
But for a sober diner, the lack of mocktail options was a major disappointment. Being offered only water after asking about a mocktail definitely didn't leave the best impression.
Then there was Tavern on the Bay.
We walked in almost on a whim, and it ended up being the highlight of our evening.
The historic atmosphere was beautiful, the waterfront setting was gorgeous, Lisa was fantastic behind the bar, our mocktails were refreshing, and that apple pie? Take me back immediately.
So, yes, I went into the evening stressed. And yes, I left Somers Point still carrying some of that stress.
But I also discovered a new favorite place, drank an actual mocktail, ate some ridiculously good dessert and got to spend the evening with my favorite person. I'd call that a successful date night.
Another South Jersey adventure in the books as fall slowly creeps its way into Somers Point.
Until next time,
The Sober Party Girl
⭐ Final Sober Party Girl Scores
π Buona Vita Restaurant: 6/10
π Tavern on the Bay: 10/10!
And Partiers, you already know what I'm going to say… Go find yourself a good mocktail and enjoy the good life!
π Buona Vita Restaurant — 6/10
π Pros
π Huge, delicious Risotto Primavera — definitely a dish worth sharing!
π Pollo Fantasia had a fantastic lemon white wine sauce that kept the dish bright and flavorful.
π Joe’s Pollo Buona Vita was a standout — especially that dreamy demi-glace!
π°️ Cozy, Tuscan-inspired atmosphere.
π₯ Classic Italian comfort food with generous portions.
π Cons
π«πΉ No mocktail menu or real zero-proof options.
πΆ Asked about a mocktail and wasn't offered much of an alternative.
π₯ The vegetable and potato sides were a little…confusing.
π° Chocolate mousse cake was delicious but VERY small for the price.
π Tavern on the Bay — 10/10
π Pros
ππ Fantastic Bay Breeze mocktails with pineapple, cranberry and orange juice.
π Lisa the bartender was wonderful and happy to create something with what she had.
π‘ Gorgeous, cozy historic atmosphere.
π Beautiful waterfront/bay views.
π°️ Fascinating history
πΆ Lively atmosphere with events and live entertainment.
ππ¦ Apple pie Γ la mode was AMAZING.
π₯³ We stumbled in at the end of Happy Hour and found some great deals.
π» Paranormal activity may be a pro or con, depending on your feelings about ghosts!
π Cons
πΉ Zero-proof ingredients were somewhat limited.
π€·♀️ Mocktails weren't necessarily a dedicated menu feature.
A bit confusing when you walk in, thank god for the hostess stand
Comments
Post a Comment