Homemade Italian Food, Hidden Mocktails, and a Surprise Gem in Ocean City, NJ
How is it the end of July already?! Time flies when you're working every day. LOL!
An Unexpected Mocktail at Harpoons on the Bay in North Cape May
Speaking of work, I found myself spending last Saturday working from what felt like an island oasis. WMGM was hanging out at Harpoons on the Bay in North Cape May, and wow...this place is awesome.
The property has a little bit of everything: a building for the restrooms, a garage that's been turned into a bar, an outdoor bar, and a more traditional restaurant that connects to a huge deck linking everything together. Add in a sandy beach area to relax, and it feels like you've escaped somewhere tropical without leaving South Jersey.
I didn't have time to eat, but I did have time for a mocktail.
The bartender happily offered to make me whatever I wanted, so naturally I told him to surprise me with whatever he thought was good. A few minutes later, he handed me a gorgeous Blueberry Mojito made with fresh blueberries, mint, and plenty of bubbles. It was refreshing, beautiful, and exactly what I needed to survive the heat...at least until the monsoon rolled through a few minutes later.
My only complaint? It was a little pricey at $8.50 for a small plastic cup.
Then again...I'll pay just about anything for a good mocktail.
Discovering Cousin's Restaurant in Ocean City, NJ
Later in the week, I was invited to Cousin's Restaurant in Ocean City, New Jersey.
From the outside, it looks like a house that was transformed into a cozy neighborhood restaurant. Inside, you'll find homemade Italian food that immediately stands out.
Before visiting, I looked through some online reviews. One of the biggest complaints people mentioned was that the food takes a while to arrive.
After speaking with the manager for an article I'm writing for Shore Local Newsmagazine, I finally understood why. Everything is made from scratch.
There isn't a giant pot of soup simmering in the back all day. There aren't frozen appetizers waiting to be dropped into the fryer. When you order, that's when the chef starts cooking.
Honestly...it sounds a little insane. I remember working in restaurants where everything was prepped ahead of time and huge vats of soup sat cooking all day.
But that's exactly what gives Cousin's its charm. Every plate is made to order, and you can absolutely taste the difference.
I wrote an entire feature about Cousins for Shore Local, which should be published this Thursday, so keep an eye out if you'd like to learn more about one of the owners and how this restaurant became a place generations of families continue to visit.
The Mocktail (Well...Close Enough)
As we all know, Ocean City is a dry town. The question was never whether they served alcohol.
My question is always… Do they have mocktails?
Personally, if there's no alcohol anywhere in town, every restaurant should have a mocktail menu. I'd be first on every reservation list.
When my server came over, she offered the usual coffee, tea, and soda. Meh. Nothing exciting.
Then she said… "Or an Arnold Palmer."
DING DING DING! Is it barely a mocktail? Absolutely.
Does it still count? I'm saying yes.
The combination of iced tea and sweet lemonade was simple, refreshing, and exactly what I wanted on a hot summer evening.
The Food
Our meal started with a large house salad topped with their famous Honey Dijon Vinaigrette.
Let me just say… This dressing deserves its own fan club. It HAS its own fan club.
I never take salad home. I took this salad home. It was THAT good.
The manager told me they actually sell the dressing by the pint and quart because people use it as everything from salad dressing to marinades.
I honestly wish I could describe it well enough to do it justice.
Tangy. Sweet. Light. Perfect.
I was literally craving salad afterward, which is not something I ever thought I'd say.
One of the other diners mentioned the restaurant even sells a cookbook that includes the family recipe for the dressing. I suddenly need this cookbook.
Stuffed Mushrooms
Next came the stuffed mushrooms. They arrived on a sizzling hot metal plate with four mushroom caps sitting in a puddle of melted butter.
At first, I assumed they would be the typical crab cake stuffed mushrooms you find everywhere.
Nope.
These were better.
Instead of crab cake filling, each mushroom was topped with a perfectly toasted ball of fresh crab meat. That melted butter quickly became my dipping sauce for both the mushrooms and the crab. They may have been small, but they packed a lot of flavor.
An excellent appetizer.
Wild Salmon with Mango Salsa
For my entrée, I ordered the wild-caught salmon twilight dinner.
The long salmon filet was cooked perfectly and topped with a bright, colorful mango salsa that added just the right amount of sweetness without overpowering the fish. It came with sautéed vegetables and a side of garlic mashed potatoes. The vegetables were...well...vegetables. Perfectly fine.
The garlic mashed potatoes, though? Delicious.
They instantly reminded me of the mashed potatoes from the old TGI Friday's days, and I mean that as a compliment.
Dessert That I'll Be Dreaming About
Last, but definitely not least, dessert arrived.
I was served warm bread pudding topped with a rich white brandy sauce and a generous swirl of homemade whipped cream.
Brother… This was SO GOOD.
The bread was warm and soft. The sauce was rich, buttery, sweet, and completely addictive. The homemade whipped cream deserved an encore. I should've asked for extra.
This is one of those desserts I'll randomly think about months from now.
Final Thoughts
Cousin's gave me major Chef Vola's vibes.
It has that hidden, almost speakeasy-like feeling where you're dining inside what feels like someone's home. Pair that atmosphere with made-from-scratch Italian cooking and genuinely warm hospitality, and it becomes more than just dinner; it's an experience.
I honestly can't believe it took me this long to discover Cousin's.
It's a true South Jersey gem.
The next time you're in Ocean City, NJ, skip the usual pizza, fried food, and ice cream for one night. Head down to 1st Street and Asbury Avenue and let Cousin's do the cooking.
I don't think you'll regret it.
Until Next Time,
The Sober Party Girl
Final Sober Party Girl Score: 10 out of 10!
The Sober Party Girl's Pros & Cons
✅ Pros
🍹 Mocktail approved(ish). An Arnold Palmer isn't exactly craft mocktail status, but I'll happily take any restaurant that offers something more exciting than plain soda.
🥗 The kind of place you'll keep talking about. From the dressing to dessert, this is one of those meals you'll catch yourself thinking about days later.
🏡 Cozy hidden-gem vibes. It feels like you've been invited over for Sunday dinner instead of eating at a restaurant.
👨🍳 You can taste the love. Every dish feels thoughtfully prepared, not rushed out of a kitchen on autopilot.
❤️ Worth leaving the boardwalk for. If you're looking for a memorable dinner in Ocean City instead of another slice of pizza, this is your spot.
❌ Cons
⏳ Don't come in a hurry. This is a "slow down and enjoy the evening" kind of restaurant, not a quick bite before mini golf.
💰 Save room...and maybe your wallet. Between appetizers, dessert, and wanting to take home a pint of that dressing, it's very easy to convince yourself you "need" one more thing.
🤤 Side effects may include food cravings. You've been warned. I still haven't stopped thinking about that bread pudding.
Comments
Post a Comment